Saturday, July 21, 2007

The not so shining india !!!

Well I know its easy to bash our country for all its flaws and defects but still I included this in the title of this piece. This one is not about corrupt politicians , or prejudiced rich capitalists its about you and me the citizens of India , those individuals who have been born and brought up in India . The people who are proud to be Indians , the people who believe in saying “Mera Bharat Mahan.” I realized this when I was traveling to my college in the train this time around , everything was fine I was lying on the my berth when this happened and forced me to think , and that thought in still lingering in my mind as I write this . A train journey clearly depicts all strata’s of Indian society . All trains have three classes which are divided according to fare the passengers can pay and rightly so .

It happened like this that at a place called palwal , a group of laborers came in my compartment . As my seat was near to the door so I could observe them , from this group a lady and her daughter came near my seat . I was in the upper birth and my friend was in the lower one . The lady was wearing a simple saree but one could see that she was clearly undernourished , her face was mellowed with troubles and lines in her forehead were so deep perhaps by the difficulties she had to face to earn her bread and butter .
She told to my friend to accommodate her daughter on his berth he did not agreed at first. These people are often stealing things he told me and asked me to beware and keep my eyes open but after some more requests the lady did finally manage to have her way .
Opposite to my berth was seat of an elderly lady , the lady herself sat in that seat but this lady shooed her away . She now stood , an in another birth one of my friends was sleeping this was the middle berth , this lady put her 5 year old child there . he was in slumber now this friend of mine , was very tired and as soon as he realized about this sleepy boy he shouted at this lady that an told her to take this child away , lady resisted but finally she awoke the boy and took her away , boy was asleep and he began to cry.
Seeing this lady’s face further sadden , pain and anguish was clearly visible on it . Agony it seems has found a residence in her face . As she carried to child off she said
“paisa hii sabh kuch hai , paisa hii sab kuch hai . ” I was there seeing all this , but I never told the lady to put her child on my berth , I was worried about my lap top and the drafts I had in my bag . A thought struck me that terrifies me still , I could also have been in the place of this child, just because I was not there cause by luck my mom and dad can afford the fare , but why do we (me and my friends ) harbor such prejudices dnt we have responsibilities towards our country . I dnt know how many of u people have realized this but it still bothers me , there are people in our country who cant afford to have a meal once in a day , life for them is a struggle right from day they are born I am luck enough to study in a college which had a fees of 1.55 lakhs per annum and these children , would not have even seen this much amount of money . We can all say that government should do something but what has it done so far , it is busy makin rich super rich hardly anyone worries about these people , look at the condition of general compartment in the train I dnt think I can travel there , and then there are people in ac who enjoy all the comforts .

But spare a thought for these people who wage a war their entire life against poverty and destitution , no one likes to steal but aren’t we forcing them to steal , everyone desires a lavish life so do these people and for these few maybe stealing is the last resort I dnt know where these people got off but I noticed a policeman there demanding 250 bucks from one of the passenegers who had got into this compartment with a general ticket , well I did not have to go far to see how much mahan mera bharat is , to see how much my India is shining but sadly I don’t know how to help these people get out of this , sadly I dnt know what I can do that maybe that child could go to a school and have a life like me you and all of us .

No comments: